Mohave County Juvenile Detention Facility is a
30-bed institution for juvenile law violators. It houses male and female minors, generally between the ages of 12 and 18, who are detained pending Juvenile Court hearings or waiting to transfer to another facility.
After the juvenile is booked into Juvenile Detention, he or she is assigned to an Housing Unit.
- There are 2 Housing Units - one is for boys 15 years and older; the other is for younger boys and all girls, with the girls housed in separate sleeping rooms.
When a Juvenile Court judge determines at a Detention Hearing that minors will remain in custody, they are assigned to housing unit based on their needs, the nature of the crime assessed and their security risk level. The units are setup with activities and rules that are very similar to each other. Again, Juvenile Detention staff assigns juveniles to housing units based on age, gender and security risk.
Each housing unit is set up as follows:
- Boys and girls are placed into separate housing units.
- Each unit houses approximately 15 juveniles.
- Each juvenile has an assigned room.
- Each room has a bed.
- A large day room is used for group activities.
- A communal bathroom with toilets, shower stalls and sinks is provided with very limited privacy.
- All activities and movements are supervised by Juvenile Detention staff including use of restrooms and showers and during sleeping periods.
Each housing unit has similar activities:
- The juveniles are awakened each morning at 6:00 am and go to bed between 7:30 pm and 9:45 pm depending upon their level.
- There is an accredited school on-grounds that conducts classes approximately 5 hours per day, 5 days per week and 12 months per year.
- The juveniles are given two periods for quiet time in the day room each day to work on homework, write letters or read.
- The juveniles are given a minimum of one hour per day for outdoor sports and exercise. The juveniles are required to participate unless medically excused.
- The juveniles that have behaved throughout the day are can be moved up a level; which provides additional privileges, such as extra phone calls, going to bed later, movies, etc...
All housing units maintain strict rules:
- No loud talking at shower time, in the restroom and no talking while moving about the unit.
- When talking is permitted, never raise one's voice.
- One must always get permission before moving about the unit.
- Walk with hands behind back.
- Do not look into anyone else's room.
- Show respect to staff and other juveniles.
- Be on best behavior at all times.
- Keep rooms neat and clean at all times.
- Misbehaving is punishable by loss of privileges, room confinement or early bed-time. If serious enough, new criminal charges could be filed.
- No physical contact
- Phone Calls -
- One phone call to parents; however, depending upon level the juvenile has earned, he / she could be awarded more phone calls; however, all calls are collect.
- Visitation -
- Juveniles are only permitted one visit a week unless they reach highest level, then they can have two visits per week.
- Visitation time slots are available on Saturday, Sunday and Monday of each week. Each session last 30 minutes.
- Saturday and Sunday 12:00 am - 12:30 am
- Monday 6:00 pm - 6:30 pm
- Special consideration to alternate time frames can be given if requested.